On the Lord's Day, September the 20th, 1856, what is now the South Main Church of Christ held its first meeting in the B.K. Emerson home on the west fork of Sanchez creek (seven miles south of Weatherford) to hear H. H. Taylor preach.
According to "Church book Number One", eight males and seven females, and the preacher, became members that day, making the Church of Christ one of the oldest churches in Parker County. (Parker County was officially created by an act of the Texas Legislature on December 12th, 1855.)
Following the Civil War in 1869, the Clark family conducted a revival, resulting in 46 baptisms, giving the church its first real boost in membership.
Subsequent ministers included Scarbrough who preached in 1870, Joseph Clark (sometimes assisted by his son A. Clark) preached in 1872, and evangelist Mansil Matthews (pictured above) preached in 1874. There was no regular minister for the church between 1875 and early 1877.